Making MBPro work on TP-LINK Archer C7

The circle of life continues, and with it another router dies. I’ve had my eye on the Ubiquiti UniFi AC for a while, but the reviews have been very mixed. I’m hoping things get worked out in future firmware, but I can’t see spending that much on a dice roll. Instead,¬† I figured I’d get an inexpensive hold-over until those are worked out.

On the advice of The Wirecutter, I went with the TP-Link Archer C7 v2. You can imagine my disappointment, then, when I could hardly keep my MacBook Pro (15 inch, Early 2011) connected. Digging through forums, it looks like I’m not alone.

Luckily, upgrading to the v14 firmware seems to have fixed the connection problems. On the downside, my config was completely wiped clean. So if anyone out there is struggling with getting their MacBook Pro working on the C7, the firmware upgrade should do the trick, but make sure you just down your configuration!

NuGet Is Just Better

I was working on getting Postgresql, Visual Studio Remote Debugger, and PHP running on Server 2012 R2 so that I can up my debugging-fu, rather than just relying on Console.WriteLine.

Ran into some DLL hell trying to get npgsql working. I saw NuGet mentioned while Binging for solutions, so I figured I’d give it a try. Where has this been all my coding life?

A few clicks, and remote debugging is up and running. I even copied the compiled files over to my production box, and everything is working fine in Centos on Mono as well. What a great way to spend a Friday morning off!

Deleting Child Objects Recursively in Unity

It took me a bit of Binging to find a method that worked the way I needed.

1st, create a public GameObject to hold the parent of the items you are looking to delete. Set this either from the Unity Editor or in code.

Then simply call a foreach loop on the parent GameObject as below to delete all children.

foreach (Transform child in searchResultParent.transform)

Windows 10 Live ID with Custom Username

I finally got around to installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview. Loving the speed, Cortana, and new Start Menu! Though I am hoping those icons get some tweaking before release.

I did the really slick “sign in with Windows Live Account” thing, but didn’t like the “adamd” username it gave me.

If you want to choose your own username, but still have the Windows Live coolness, choose “My work owns this device” instead of “I own this device” (I may not have this wording quite right).

Then, when it gives you the option to sign in with your Window Live ID, choose to use a local account (way at the bottom). You’ll only see this if you chose the “work” option.

The name is asks you for will become your username, so choose what you’d like that to, not necessarily your full name.

Once you’ve signed in

Click Start and choose Store (beta)

start-storeClick the portrait icon

store-manEnter the password you used when you created your initial account during setup

passwordSign in with your Windows Live ID

-to-windows-liveClick Switch

switchAnd voil√†! All the handy-dandy fun of using a Windows Live ID with a profile path you’ve come to know and love.


Restore OneDrive Happiness

I managed to make my OneDrive (aka lifeline) on Mac OS unhappy today. It would crash immediately upon opening.

I Bing’d around a bit, and came up with this fix:

Open Finder
Press: Shift-Command-G
Enter this path: ~/Library/Containers/ Support/onedrive/settings

Delete the file that ends in .dat

Reopen OneDrive and everything should be copacetic.

PS: This will cause OneDrive to rescan all of your files, but will not delete any files locally.

And on and on

Halcyon and On and On came on Pandora. Always fills me with nostalgia for my high school days running Mandrake Linux with a stripped down Enlightenment WM and listening to techno on XMMS.
So much so, I fired up the old Packard Bell Pentium 166 for a classic listening session. Oh memories.

Mandrake 6

Focus On Your Core Competencies

It’s something drilled into every MBA, day after day. It’s a simple mantra, but one easily forgotten as excitement around a project builds. I am always tempted to re-invent the wheel, just to see what kind of wheel I can come up with.

But, when you have a goal in mind, remember: you don’t need to roll your own JSON library, host your own Git repository, code a game engine from scratch. Keep it simple, and focus on what you do best.

PS: Also fight the urge to recode your Java app in C# because Visual Studio 2013 is all free now. Fight it. You can do it!

It couldn’t hurt to see how Mono runs in Centos these days though…

SSL at Last

It’s long over due, but I finally got an SSL certificate for! Was happy to find (sorry for the advertisement) a Comodo Wildcard SSL cert on SSL2Buy for only $60. Was afraid it might be too good to be true, but everything went great, including testing a certificate reissue.

Unity engine will finally connect to my web server without yelling at me about an bad certificate. What a happy day :)